One of the most common things that women who suffer from abortion years after the procedure say is I didn’t know that abortion did that! By the time women realize the psychological and physical side effects of abortion, it’s too late.
One piece of common ground that those who are pro-life can share with those who are truly pro-choice is ensuring that the woman requesting an abortion is making an informed choice.
The psychological effects of abortion on women years later are traumatic and serious, including:
- Depressive psychosis (2.39x as likely than a woman who carries to term)
- Adjustment reaction (2.42x as likely than a woman who carries to term)
- Bipolarism (3.31x as likely than a woman who carried to term)
In fact, according to a study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry, women who have had one or more abortion suffered an 81% greater risk of mental health problems than woman who did not.
The physical effects of an abortion on a woman years later are equally problematic and pervasive and include:
- Increased risk of premature births for future pregnancies
- Increased risk of children born with cerebral palsy in subsequent pregnancies
- Pain cause from the abortion procedures or side effects, such as infection
Woman should have the right to be fully informed of the psychological and physical effects of abortion, both in the short- and long-term.